Wifi Integration

I mentioned this briefly in the “Expectation for the Next Firmware” thread, but i wanted to elaborate on some features and discuss this a bit more since I think it’s a large enough feature that it likely won’t be in the NEXT firmware update (GD32Base-2.2 is the current as of this post).

I understand most of this feature really depends on how much room is left in the ROM for the firmware. I am a software engineer and have worked in the embedded world so i understand what this would entail and the limitations. So just talking the “ideal” feature I think, we’ll assume there is enough room in the module. If for the full feature the touch screen would have to be replaced, you could certainly integrate/upgrade it with Wifi directly. I will say that if there is a nice Wifi feature set like i’ll describe (and other ideas from others i’m sure), I would certainly pay for that upgrade!

My only experience with an existing wifi setup on a 3d printing module has been with the Monoprice Mini. I think they had a good idea with their interface, but it was no executed properly, so it didn’t really work. If it did work, the base functions would be (not in order):

• upload a file to run
  • Current progress of run
  • ETA for completion
  • Current temp/speed/whatever for module
  • Current file being printed
  • Stop/pause
  • update firmware
  • restart unit

Basically the same functionality at the touch screen, just on a single webpage. I picture this as a remote interface, since if i’m near the unit, i can just use the touch screen (except for the upload a file feature). My setup has the unit off in a room by itself since it’s generally quite loud. So my personal use would be to basically have the page open to monitor the current print/function, then be able to clear the bed and start a new one. I don’t know is “most” people have their unit basically sitting next to them, but that’s not my setup. I tried to have that since I work from home, but the very first meeting I had people were like “what’s that whistling sound?” (which was of course the 3d printer).

For the firmware in the current setup, if the drivers/library for wifi were able to be included, you could detect a wifi dongle in the USB port, have a setup for it in the Settings page on the touch screen to be able to connect to a wifi network, and have a basic page that would load when connected to. It would have to show the IP address so someone could put that into their browser, but otherwise would be simple enough to run. Using the USB connection for the dongle is why it would be important to have the file upload, since it replaced 1 of the ways to get files to the printer (the PC connection wouldn’t be affected, since that’s a different port). The process I could see would be:

• Plug in the dongle
  • Power up the machine
  • Go to Settings > Setup Network
  • Follow prompts to set up network connection
  • Show IP address there (also be able to see it in About, but adding it to the progress screen would be important to not interrupt current functions)
  • Go to my browser on another device
  • Type in and get the web page with whatever functions it has.

As I said, if there is not enough room or whatever for the current touch screen module, and so had to be upgraded to have more storage/programming space, I would expect it to have the Wifi module integrated with the touch screen. Then the dongle would not be needed but the rest of the setup would likely be similar.

And again, its much more important to fix issues and such with the current firmware/software/whatever and get all of the units together and delivered to everyone, but i thought i would get the discussion going since there are new products already being talked about!

2 Likes

@magumbasauce this sounds very much like OctoPi. Check out Octoprint.org. A few of us Snapmaker users are using it, myself included. All you need is a Raspberry Pi (with OctoPi) connected to the 3D printer, freeing up your PC. You can either have the Pi connected to your network via ethernet or wifi.

I have my Snapmaker connected via a smart plug too so i can turn the 3d printer on and off remotely.

2 Likes

neat. I don’t have a rasberry pi lying around. From what i’ve seen of the arduino kit i have (which is currently not doing anything) seems like more work than I want to put into getting that set up (which is why my arduino kit is not doing anything). I have about 10,000 other things I do and have to do, so i just want it to work!

To be clear, my PC is not taken up by anything. I use the USB drive to load files from, so my maker is just in a room by itself working away for hours on end printing stuff. Another reason i really want the larger print area cuz i spend probably way too much time splitting up the larger prints into parts to get them to be able to print (each of like 14 parts taking 20 hours each, then gluing together to make a single thing).

Octoprint is not hard at all to setup. It is all web-based. Load up Octoprint on the MicroSD card, put it in your Pi, go to the webpage to setup OctoPi. It can even do slicing on the Pi, but looks like you’re doing the slicing on the PC, so you’re basically just loading gcode files to the OctoPi. And if you have a webcam, you can even hook it up via USB and watch it stream from a webpage or your phone. I encourage you to try it.

Sure. They give out Pi’s and similar at conferences i attend. if i get one i’d certainly try it out. For Snapmaker as a business though, this would be a good idea for them to offer!

Hello,
How can pi and snapmaker connect? via USB? i havent bought snapmaker yet, but i would like to and so I am doing some research ?
Can you take a picture of the connection?
I am asking because i couldnt find any info about connection on octopi web site too?

@ibrahimuslu It is similar to how you connect the Snapmaker to a PC using the USB port (Note: use the square USB port, not the one for the memory stick) . Instead of the PC it connects to the USB port on the Raspberry Pi running OctoPi. You will have to have your OctoPi connected to your local network either wirelessly or using ethernet. I will try to take a photo of how I have mine connected when I get home later. Hope that helps.

1 Like

An Octopi allows you to do some neat things other than just acting as a network server for printing:

• You can add a camera so you can monitor prints remotely, right from the web interface. This can save a lot of filament and hassle when a print goes awry and you’re not there to stop it. @kelvin8r and I (and others) have come up with implementations for mounting the camera to the Snapmaker. Mine uses an IR camera so that the room can be completely dark and I can still see the printing progress.
  • You can add a relay board and, with a software plugin, have the Octopi turn the printer on before printing and off after the print finishes.
1 Like

Some cases were reported that the machine cannot connect to Wi-Fi automatically after you reboot the machine.

Our software team has developed a beta version to improve the wifi connection.

Users who want to try this version, please send me some feedback.

Download link:
Snapmaker2_V255.0.0_20210423.bin.zip

Cheers
Edwin