What software do you use

What software do you use for drawing you project ?

2 Likes

Is ā€œwathā€ the same meaning of ā€œwhatā€?

And could you explain ā€œdrawing your projectā€ further? Such as, draw what and for what purpose.

1 Like

excuse me I do not speak English very well
yes i mean WHAT
I would like to know which software you use to draw your project in 3d For exemple sketchup
Thanks

1 Like

Never mind, Iā€™m not good at English either :smile:
Iā€™m also exploring good tools for simple 3D Design.

I found this online tool several days before: https://www.tinkercad.com/ which was shared by @doug
Since I donā€™t know much about 3D model design, itā€™s good to me.

And one of my workmate ever use FUSION360 to design 3D model, it is recommend for CNC, but also can be used as a 3D model design tool.

4 Likes

Englishā€¦itā€™s a Standard language many People have to learn at School - like me.
I also want to write in my native language (German) - but it will be boring for 97% of the other usersā€¦so Iā€™m trying my best.

Iā€™m using Solid Edge at my Company because Iā€™m working with this Software for the last about 15 years so Iā€™m pretty good with it (as Long as I donā€™t have to produce free forms).
The most parts I have designed in the past were flanges, shafts ans some other parts that can be made with a mill/lathe/drill (so no fancy designs - function is first!). But also my bed (made from 80x80x2 mm stainless steel square tubes) has been drawn by myself

The last days I thought about what to do with my Snapmaker - since I want to work with the Printer at home.
Solid Edge is very expensive so I was searching for a free alternative.
In the CNC quick start guide there is a reference to Autodesk Fusion 360 so I gave it a try.
I was very impressed about the posibilities in this ā€œfreeā€ tool (educational licence) - if you draw something from scratch there are more posibilities than in the cheapest Version of Solid Edge.
So I found my prefered 3D-CAD for home useā€¦

If you have used AutoCAD ore something like that in the past you will learn pretty fast to draw your firs models.
You have to draw a 2D sketch and then expand/cut/turn it into a 3D-object.
For first time user not very intuitive but it is compareable to the big Players like SolidWorks, Inventor, SolidEdge,ā€¦

Iā€™ll send you some examples of some simple objects in a few days (after I received my Snapmaker and tried it out) if you want to.

4 Likes

I took a look at tinkercad but I donā€™t like it at all. Itā€™s very ā€œComic styleā€ and you canā€™t do very much with this tool.
Maybe it is better for People starting with 3D-CAD but this isnā€™t good for exerienced users like me.

Once more - I donā€™t do free forms (like figures, cars ore something like that) but parts that can be produced with standard CNC Tools.

Yeah, our mechanical engineers also think tinkercad is a toy, lol~

Iā€™m happy that you like Fusion360, yours opinion as a experienced engineer is important for us :wink:

1 Like

I am just learning how to use AutoCAD. Got it from the piratebay (sssh!)
Looks like a very powerful but difficult to use for starters tool.

Will have a look at Fusion though. Maybe it is a little easier to use.

The perfect tool for complex stuff would be Rhinoceros. But that one is (like AutoCAD) reeeeally expensive and hard to get ā€œfor freeā€

Yeah, Rhinoceros is always used for Industrial Design, a professional tool. It could build complex curved surface and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s suitable for 3D printing

Rhinoceros is for free form design. I found it much easier to design with straight lines and circlesā€¦

@sebi1987
I think you are from Germany.
You just have to understand how 3D CAD works.

For Fusion you have to draw a closed 2D sketch (the lines have to make a closed fence) first.
Then you can take the encased area and ā€œpullā€ it up for creating a 3D object.
For a simple cube you draw a sqare and the evolve it by the length of the sides.

If you want to you can ask me in German for assistance with Fusion 360 (Iā€™m a new user to this Software too but I do understand the mechanism behind) - but I think this Forum is not the right place. I want to stay with English here.

Also you can send me Hand drawn drafts with some dimensions and I can try to make a 3D model out of it for you.

2 Likes

Autodesk Fusion 360
Free for students

autocad is way too big for anything less than large projects, and their libraries are oriented for teams, loners not so muchā€¦

on large team projects, used autocad with custom/purchased libraries for years (hated almost every minute of it)ā€¦

orcad was more to my liking for smaller projects and when designing by myselfā€¦
(with eagle/freecad for trons/mechanical)ā€¦

starting with kcad from trons/pcb now, and looking into going back to freecad for mechanical workā€¦

williamā€¦

After much research I built a little list of (free) software that seem to have good review and large communities. Constructive criticism is welcome ! Note that I do not mind the learning curve.

Freeform Modeling Tools : Blender
Scultping Tools: Sculptris
CAD Tools: FreeCad
Slicers: Slic3r
Handy Tools: Meshmixer

Sculptris and Blender are redundant, but I like sculptris and will try Blender to see what is the hype about :slight_smile:

Slic3rā€¦ I am not sure it works well with Snapmaker, isnā€™t it redundant with Meshmixer ?

I am using OpenSCAD as it allows me to describe the shape I want programmatically (which is what I do for a day job!) then, currently, use Cura for slicing.

1 Like

I use a variousity of programs. As backbone I use Fusion360, with the help of CorelDraw (importing True Type Fonts into Fusion doesnā€™t work all the time, so I have to import vectors as sketches) and even Photoshop (scanned blueprints). Slicing / gcoding with Snapmaker3D / SnapmakerJS / Slic3r.

Works best for me, even that Fusion got such a steep learning curve.

AutoCAD is far too big, Fusion is the best choice as it is free for students / education personal and freelancers so I would give it a try. There are lots of tutorials on their site and Youtube full of lessons. I tested SketchUp but it has got this only amateur touch but as hard to understand as Fusion. So I chose Fusion with its simulation and stresstest environment.

I also started with Slic3r, but found Cura 3.2.1. much more satisfying.
Much more configuration options and configurable interface to show/hide slicing options.
No Configuration for SnapMaker available yet, but it wasnā€™t too hard to configure even for a new 3D printer user like me.
Blender is currently my drawing program. Steep learning curve but I think itā€™s a great tool. Still plan to try some other options people throw in here if they are available on Linux.

The main plus/requirement for me on these softwares is that these are all available as free softwares on Linux. At least to try them out.

Hi @harry

Dough The newbie here. I have just installed OpenSCAD, as a result of finding a number of parametric projects on Thingiverse and thought I would have a go at learning to modify them. With your experience it would be great if you would consider sharing some hints on the forum, People such as @Noah, @Rainie, @tone, @rojaljelly and other users, may find this useful.

Keep having fun.

Doug

Iā€™m using Fusion 360 and Cura at the moment.Iā€™ve designed and printed my first simple thing. A cup washer (not a thing for cleaning your coffee mug!). Itā€™s at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2834115 . Not very exciting but is is useful.

I used a new filament - Black PLA+ from 3D Fillies in Australia. It seems to stick to the bed better than the Snapmaker supplied PLA. It also seems less brittle.

Cheers
Rick

1 Like

I started with TinkerCAD, it seems to be the easiest to use for mashing different thingiverse items together.

I have downloaded Fusion360 as it seems to be the logical ā€˜next stepā€™ I have watched a couple of youtube videos on Fusion360 but am finding the leap from ā€˜following alongā€™ to building my own design difficult. I am attempting to replicate my tinkerCAD models but am finding the learning curve to be almost vertical :tired_face:

I downloaded Cura but each time I try it, it doesnā€™t set the nozzle temperature for some reason, the SnapmakerJS still does a great job.

I use Fusion 360 for design. The design history function is a big time-saver.

For slicing, I use Simplify3D.

1 Like