What do you think of the Double Z?

Compared to the first 3-in-1 3D printer, Double Z has 2 z axes and a larger work area. Do you think it’s worth buying? How will you make it better?

4 Likes

You have my attention, but-
What is the reason for the addition to the z axis?
What is the build size?

2 Likes

According to our engineer, it’s more strong and stable for CNC, and the build size may be 225mm? I’m not sure

PS: I’m a designer of snapmaker team, nice to meet you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a hobby to make wood key chain.
The precision is most important to me.
The dimensions of the device are fine for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To be honest this thing looks way more promising than what I backed in the first place.
The double Z axis looks way sturdier.
I almost regret not having waited until this beast here comes out :stuck_out_tongue:

Just wondering if there will be an “upgrade”-kit for the original snapmaker.
I mean you would only need another Z-linear and the Ground plate.

2 Likes

Hahaha, good to know that you like this kit. :wink:
Yes, basically you only need another Z linear module and a bigger base plate to make this kit from the original Snapmaker. If you want a bigger build volume, a bigger heated bed is needed too.

1 Like

Will a larger heated bed be an option in the future with longer X and Y axis for increasing the build area, but not necessarily build height? Or would the current Snapmaker Z axis design not support it? I suppose I’m curious if there will be an option for increasing the overall build volume, XYZ and still a heated bed.

Since the modules are compatible with each other, you can increase the build volume as you want. You can increase the X and Y axis and the heated bed but not the Z asix, or all of them. We’ll try to develop more modules that meet your requirements.

2 Likes

Seems to me that the simplicity of your design will allow for some expandability; well done.:heavy_check_mark:

1 Like

Looks nice but I don’t see the necessity - just for CNC carving and slighly wither build room…
Also I’m not sure about the synchonisation of the 2 Z-axes. This will be a source of Errors for technical newbies when mounting the device.
But after I read your ready quick start guides I think you will make it just fine.

Seeing the spool on one Z makes me think… What if I could add another spool to the other Z module…
Basically, requesting a 2/multi filament nozzle upgrade in future

6 Likes

I think that would be great. I can easily for see a use for a 700mm environment.

Maybe that’s my Architect and woodworking side talking. The Snapmaker is modular, so it seems like it could be a viable expansion.

Would a heated bed be needed in a larger environment? Since I still do not have a functioning heat bed and am getting successful prints, I don’t yet have a base line for comparison. Mine was missing the resistor, so I am waiting for the replacement bed.

1 Like

700mm will not make much sense with the current hardware.
The resolution of the driver card for the stepper motors would be too little.

Sounds like a great idea! I would invest in that enhancement if doable from a technical and cost perspective!

Yep, already looking forward to upgrading once I’ve had some time on the smaller version :wink:

So, when can we order the extra Z Linear Module larger heated build plate to upgrade the original Snapmaker? Increasing the build volume and increasing the rigidity for light/soft material cnc work is ideal.

Is there any chance that we would be able to engrave aluminum with 3/64" (1.2mm) end mills? Hint: If your dev team is willing to try some VERY light engraving in aluminum, be sure to use “odd” flute end mills. Aluminum tends to vibrate more with even number flutes. So 3 or 5 flute ballnose would be awesome if it can do it.

If you are going to try to cnc metal, best bone up on gcode, cause you will have to slow things way down…

very light cuts, slow feeds, and an external vibration sensor controlling main power would not be a bad idea…

always push the limits, just know where the limits are…

william…

I have a pretty good size cnc machine at home and am comfortable with gcode. I would like to use this for very light engraving and I don’t mind going slow. I would even consider rigging a compressed air blower for it to keep the chips from piling up.

I have gWizard and gWizardE, so visualizing the code / tweaking it is pretty easy. I might even be able to model it in gWizard to be able to find the right chip load though that might be pushing gWizard to have it go that low on the power spectrum. It would certainly be an interesting question to ask Mr Warfield, anyway.

Edit: I’m curious if it could handle a 3/64" 3 flute or 5 flute ball nose endmill, 1/64" deep. If it can’t go that route, then maybe I 3d print a mount for a dremel running at 35k, attach that instead…

1 Like

Hello @quarky42 @Rainie

Hi am a newbies and had not heard of GWizard and just looked it up and downloaded a trial copy. I look forward to hearing how you go using it with the Snapmaker.

Keep having fun

Doug
:australia:

guess you are our designated “limit-pusher” on the snapmaker cnc front…

i have more of a trons-n-software history, even tho i’ve programmed cnc systems since 76…

learning that “hands on” is a different world…

william…