State of Snapmaker

So, in September I bought a Snapmaker, hoping it would provide an upgradable solution rather than a 3D printer I would need to DIY myself. Then, today, I saw the “Platform” page was advertising a BRAND NEW Snapmaker for launch on Kickstarter.

However, there’s only been one module released for Snapmaker V1, a few components in case parts of the modules fail and some consumables… no modules from the existing system have even made an appearance on the company store, let alone anyone else’s.

After spending close to £1,000 on your system, therefore, I have to ask - will Snapmaker allow EXISTING users to upgrade and expand their hardware, before selling an entirely new 3-in-1 system?

In my opinion, this is the start of the process. As long as they only have a single model, there isn’t much upgrading that can be done. I will be very disappointed if the new modules are not backwards compatible.

I do agree that they should have the 200mW laser and CNC head available on the store, in addition to the 1.6W laser. And it would be nice if all the parts were available, like linear modules and the controller, in case I break one. I thought I saw them on the store at one point, but I could be mis-remembering.

Remember that they have always moved quite a bit slower than they expected. The initial Kickstarter finished in April 2017. I was late to the party, as was projected to get mine in Sept 2017 (5 months). It didn’t arrive until May 2018, a full 15 months after the the campaign closed. They explained the delays, but it was frustrating.

It looks like they redesigned the linear modules. So at least some portion of the work they did before has to be repeated again. IIRC, quite a few of the delays were related to manufacturing of the linear modules.

Hopefully support for existing 1st generation machine owners will continue unabated for some time to come. :worried:

1 Like

Well, if nothing else, I think the price to buy Snapmaker 2 components should be discounted for existing owners. This shouldn’t be hard, as everyone who already has a Snapmaker will retain proof-of-purchase.

This revisits the opportunity as well to launch the Hardware Beta program I suggested previously, enabling more industrious owners to get access to these products even earlier.

1 Like

Full acknowledge! I at least hope for a upgrade kit, which only includes the longer linear modules, base etc, so I can reuse the 3D-printing-, laser- and engraving-modules. Because all I would need now is more working space :wink:

2 Likes

Agreed! These are the upgrade paths I would like to see…

Standard/Plus 3D Printing Kit - two variations

• Snapmaker 2 Core Drive
  • Snapmaker 2 Base (medium for Standard, large for Plus)
  • Snapmaker 2 Hub
  • 4x Snapmaker 2 Linear Modules (medium for Standard, large for Plus)
  • Filament Holder

Standard/Plus Laser Engraving Kit - two variations

• Snapmaker 2 Core Drive
  • Snapmaker 2 Laser Engraving Platform
  • 1.6Mw Laser Engraving Module

Standard/Plus CNC Milling Kit - two variations

• Snapmaker 2 Core Drive
  • Snapmaker 2 MDF Waste Board
  • Snapmaker 2 CNC Module
  • Fixtures + Spare CNC heads

Delta Plus 3D Printing Kit

• Snapmaker 2 Core Drive
  • Snapmaker 2 Hub
  • Delta 3D Printing Module
  • Delta Base and top
  • 3x Large Linear Modules
  • Filament Holder

I also want to see the Snapmaker 2’s Core Drive, Hub, Linear Modules, Tool Modules, 5" Touchscreen and other stuff available on its own, for users who may not need, want or even can afford the upgrade kits.

1 Like