[Official] Ready to Try for CNC

Under this topic, we will upload some files that can be used directly to try the CNC function. If you have designed a 3D model and tried it with the CNC carver, please share it with us, too.
The first G-code file I would like to share is the one used in our tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRkMQQlDE8w). You can use it to carve a dragon on a carbon fiber sheet:
Dragon 2D Carver.nc (139.3 KB)

2 Likes

@Rainie, excellent video, thanks.

Here is an odd question, after the engraving could you run over this with a layer or two on the 3D printer. In essence building up an embossed dragon outline? the engraved grooves would act as a foundation to the plastic.

Keep having fun
Doug

2 Likes

Ah, do you mean use it as a mold for the plastic? It may be possible. I can have a try sometime and tell you the result. =)

1 Like

Hi @Rainie

My explanation was not good. If you think of the dragon outline being printed on the carbon fiber plate so that it is essentially embossed and stands out in relief. The photo below although rather fanciful gives you the idea that I mentioned. Imagine your dragon outline raised on the background plate. I just thought the first pass of engraving the image would be a good foundation for the plastic to melt into

:grinning:

1 Like

Hi Snapmaker Team,

I was wondering why the listed CNC work area is only 90 x 90 mm and can’t be the full 125 x 125 mm?

Is there a physical limitation with the machine or something?

Jake

Hi:

It’s mainly limited by the fixtures, as the picture below:

CNC-work-area

Since CNC may cause safety problems if not fixed well, we recommend to use fixtures, thus the work area is limited.

4 Likes

Ok, makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply.

Hi @doug

I see now. It’s theoretically possible, but there may be 2 problems:

1. We need to find a way to make the print stick to the carbon fiber sheet.
  2. The details of the print may not be as good as the carved one.

It may not be the best solution, it’s a good idea though. I can imagine that you will make good use of the Snapmaker when you receive it. :wink:

Keep having fun!
Rainie

1 Like

Thanks @Rainie

I agree, it will not be as good as the carved version, however there may be occasions when printing a design on an object may look good; like fancy icing on a cake :yum: (hahaha). I of course will experiment.

Have a great week
Doug

1 Like

So does anyone have a chart or recommended Feed & Speed settings for wood?

The quick start guides from snapmaker seem to gloss over it. Currently the default spindle speed for me in Fusion 360 is 16,000 RPM. Seems high…

1 Like

You can’t set spindle speed, It’s fixed. 19000 RPM. For the feedrate, start from slow speed which can’t be wrong.

2 Likes

Hi @Noah,
I have designed and printed some adjustable clamps/fixtures that mount to the snapmaker plate using the holes in the corners. These would safely secure a work piece of 105mm x 105mm. Is there a way to override and increase the CNC work area beyond 90mm x 90mm?
Ryan

4 Likes

Hi Ryan

It’s happy to hear that you have increased the work area, I suggest that you may upload the model of new fixtures to THINGIVERS so that we can learn about it and put it into a test. If our engineers think it’s safe and useful, we will try to make it into reality. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I second this!! It would be great to expand the CNC work area. I do understand the hazard though.

What’s a good wood I can get at a local craft or lumber store? What’s worked well for people? Thanks!

I’m trying to get a jump on the game in CNC’ing before my Snapmaker gets here and it’s definitely tricky trying to get the software set up for it. I think we will definitely need some more instruction on generating the toolpaths and post processes and whatnot.

So far following the instructions, I have the tools setup in Fusion 360 but the post process and the file we’re supposed to incorporate is kind of confusing. Plus I’m trying to use a CAM program that i’m more used to and I don’t know which post process to use in the list since there’s no Snapmaker or generic marlin one.

If anyone can lend some times or a quick write-up, it would be appreciated.

any of the hard woods should work well…

avoid light pine and spruce, especially if there is high rosin and/or gaps in the wood…

old (aged) construction wood works well, can be very beautiful, and much of the better hard wood is hard to find in today’s supply line…

william…

1 Like

So Maple or Oak from Home Depot might work?

Should fixtures have come with the machine? Or do we acquire these elsewhere? Which are best to use with the Snapmaker?

Has anyone tried using InkScape.org to create the G-code for the CNC?

1 Like