Leather cutting with 1600mW

Hi!

I’ve been fervently reading about the Snapmaker 2.0 and have a question I can’t seem to find the answer to. I’m a hobbyist leatherworker and would love to cut some patterns using the laser cutter of the snapmaker. The lasercutting guide says that the laser can cut through 0.6mm leather with specific settings. However, I see that that is on 70% power. Can the module also cut through thicker leather? E.g. 5mm?

Thank you for your help!

1 Like

May I suggest that you contact Lee Jihun @freeman who has been doing lots of leather work.

So how does it work with leather?
I used to cut with a rotary cutter (I use Hercules). It’s fine but I consider taking something new and thinking about a laser cutter. Any recommendations?

Depending on size/ finish you want, the SN1 could be what youre looking for. 10x10cm of workspace, sort of, youll have to make yourown fixturing most likely to some extent. Using the cnc module is limiting a bit further as you only can use 2.3mm shanked tools because of the brass adapter. If you go for a SN2 150 you should be in the same size ballpark and have the ER11 collet advantage if you can mill your leather. If you have to laser it, the SN2 has a 1.6W laser by default, the SN1 has a 0.2W by default and a 1.6W module as additional part. Both dont realy have a solution to fume extraction exept adding the enclosure to them.
I dont have leather laying around currently, else i could have tested it

I’m glad to hear you’re interested in the Snapmaker 2.0! It’s a versatile machine. To answer your question, while the lasercutting guide mentions cutting 0.6mm leather at 70% power, it’s important to note that cutting through thicker materials like 5mm leather may be challenging. It might require multiple passes or adjustments to the settings.

I recommend conducting some test cuts on a small piece of 5mm leather to find the optimal settings for your specific project. Experimenting with power levels and speed settings will help you achieve the desired results.

Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions or need further assistance. Happy leatherworking!