Hardened Nozzles

Any thoughts on replacing standard nozzles with Harden Nozzles -e.g. Olson Ruby,Hardened Steel

Iā€™ve been using these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078N7FDNZ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 when printing PLA with mixed in metals and glow in the dark without a problem. I do have to increase the nozzle temperature 10C because they donā€™t hold heat as well as the brass nozzles.

Personally I wouldnā€™t worry about the pricey ruby nozzle unless you plan to print exclusively with carbon fiber 24/7. My four nozzles for $10 will probably outlast that $100 nozzle, and if they donā€™t Iā€™d rather buy 4 more.

1 Like

I just attempted to remove the nozzle from my hotend so I could try this out. No dice. Is there some sort of trick to removing the nozzle?

Did you heat up the nozzle before trying to loosen the set screw?

1 Like

How did you get the nozzle out of the heating block?

1 Like

I just put the block in my vice and found the correct size wrench and it came right out. I didnā€™t heat it or anything special.

1 Like

Thanks - I was having trouble removing one and tried that. This morning i tried with a socket wrench and it came right out.

1 Like

At the very least, compatibility with nozzles from E3D would improve the machineā€™s longevity.

If the nozzle breaks, you could replace it from them - if the module breaks, however, you have to replace the whole component.

I already bought some replacement nozzles (M6 thread) from Amazon (ā€œchineseā€ brass set of 20 and a Micro-Swiss MK8 Plated Wear Resistant Nozzle).
No problems since I installed themā€¦
Just donā€™t forget to recalibrate the printer.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using this one for printing carbon fiber filament (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D9TTXPJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Works good as far as I can tell but I noticed iā€™m having to set my temps 7-10 degrees hotter. The heat doesnā€™t get from the heat block to the nozzle as well as the brass so it indicates fine but the layers definitely arenā€™t adhering as well as with the brass nozzle.

Would a bit of thermal paste (as used with heatsinks in electronic devices) be of help here to improve thermal conductivity?

Just out of curiosity, roja, what specifically do you mean by ā€œrecalibrateā€?

Thanks.
-mg

Just calibrate the printbed (reset first)

@BriHar unfortunately not, higher temps are needed because steel is not as conductive as brass. not because heat is not being transferred from the block to the nozzle. This is normal for all 3d printers with hardened steel nozzles.

Itā€™s been awhile since your original post, but curious if your opinion changed about the nozzle.

Would you still recommend the Micro-Swiss nozzle? Iā€™m looking for a good all-purpose replacement (I routinely switch between wood and regular PLA).

For pla and wood filled pla just stick with a standard brass mk8 nozzel

Does someone have a link to a good hardened steel nozzle?

Iā€™m nervous of buying one and it not fitting right. Maybe Iā€™m overthinking it, but there seems to be a huge variance in thread lengths on nozzles. The thread size is standard, which is good, but Iā€™m stuck on thread length, and I believe it was matterhackers website I was looking at, and they didnā€™t list thread length at all, while there was clearly a difference. I think the categories on that site are by printer brand, so is there a popular printer that uses that exact same nozzle size as the SM? Now I KNOW Iā€™m overthinking thisā€¦ lol.

Also, if my new nozzle has a slightly longer cone/tip/whatever you want to call it, can I set that in the machine somehow OTHER than just increasing the offset? Like through the Luban console when connected through serial port? It would be nice to just measure the new tip, and put in a G-code command.

Thanks in advance.

Micro Swiss A2 Hardened Steel Plated Mk8 Nozzle - 1.75mm x 0.40mm | MatterHackers

I havent purchased this hardened steel one, but I have other microswiss nozzles and i love the coating.

This one here should be fine.

You may need to adjust the sensor if itā€™s a different length than the original.
If itā€™s beyond the range that you can adjust it, then you may have to use manual calibration.

But you should be able to find hardened nozzles that are the same shape and size of the original. If they donā€™t have measurements listed, either request or keep looking. Plenty of options that do.

-S